Thursday 3 May 2007

Gambling







In the lecture we were asked if gambling was 'bad'. We were also told that we were all gamblers.

I myself am an occasional gambler. I enjoy going to the greyhound racing and sometimes having a bet on the football, but I am not what I would call a serious gambler. I am also only keen on things that I have some kind of control over. For example, I have a knowledge on football, so I know that 999 times out of 1000, if Chelsea are playing Walsall, Chelsea will win. I can work out how good the odds are becuase I know football.




I have never really been interested in things like Roulette where you have no real idea where the ball is going to land. Betting on sport, at least you have some idea who is going to do what.




At the end of the day, the key to gambling is knowing your limits. If I go to the dogs, I set myself a limit of what I am going to bet on that night. I know then I will not exceed that limit. It is when people don't have a limit when they cannot afford it when gambling can be construed as bad. People who get the gambling bug can be drawn in.




Now with online gambling and bookmakers on every street corner, people are finding it easier than ever to be drawn in and sometimes cannot find a way out.




In my opinion, gambling is not bad, but people must know their limits if they are to begin to gamble!






This website is a UK based organisation that helps people with gambling addictions.


No comments: